Judges through Poets- 7b David and Absalom

2 Sam 14:33 Absalom gives the appearance of submission, sorrow and repentance.
In chapter 15 Absalom tries to take the throne from his father David.

Psalm 3 tells us about David’s understanding about the situation with Absalom.

2 Sam 15:1-6
Absalom wickedly wants to take the Kingdom from his father. It is a plan of deception.

2 Sam 15:30
David weeps in agony.

2 Sam 17:12
Absalom plots to chase David and kill him. Absalom’s desire and passion is to kill his father.

Psalm 3
David’s explanation of his circumstances from a human perspective

1 LORD, how they have increased who trouble me!
Many are they who rise up against me.

Most people in Israel were following Absalom. 1 Sam 15:12
Enmity is not a strange thing. Believers should expect great hostility (1 Peter 4:12)


2 Many are they who say of me,
“There is no help for him in God.” Selah

From a human perspective it seems that there is no hope for David. It seems that God has forsaken Him.
3 But You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head.

In the midst of affliction David turns to the Lord in whom he has complete trust and confidence.
YHWH is a shield ‘for me’. He is David’s protector. Shields in these days covered the whole body.
David can claim that God is his glory and treasure even in the hardest circumstances.


4 I cried to the LORD with my voice,
And He heard me from His holy hill. Selah


David resorts to prayer. He cries to the Lord because God is a prayer- answering God.
5 I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.

David wakes up form sleep because the Lord causes him to wake up.
6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people Who have set themselves against me all around.
‘ten thousands’ here is an innumerable figure.
7 Arise, O LORD; Save me, O my God! For You have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone; You have broken the teeth of the ungodly. 8 Salvation belongs to the LORD. Your blessing is upon Your people. Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Introduction to the Christ Centred Model of Preaching

Judges through Poets- 3b: Deborah and Japhthah

Preaching Christ in a Postmodern World: Expounding Christ through the Structure of Redemptive History Part One